Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year - a bit late

Wow 2010!


Isn't that the sequel to Kubrick's Space Odyssey?

Random. . .and weird. Almost as weird as it being 20 years since I graduated High School. Let's see - 20 years ago I was all about what school I was going to, going out dancing at "the Underground" and pretty much . . . (ok I'm digressing - I do it a lot. Get used to it)
I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions, but I do believe in having goals. Resolutions you break, goals you strive toward.

I thought I'd use this opportunity to lay out a few for myself. Maybe seeing them in for all of cyberspace to read will help me stay motivated?




Maintain a blog - ok, here it is. Pretty exciting so far. (ah the sarcasm) It will probably get worse. Or more geeky. Or embarrasing. Or all of the above. But its here. I'm going to push myself to keep up with it. Yell at me if I lag.

Eat healthier/Be active - I'm really already doing this, but there is ample room for improvement. Cutting out most prepackaged/processed foods. Left soda behind over a year ago. Actually COOKING. (It does help that I love to cook - actually made soup in the crockpot last night with roommate - taste testing tonight) Being active takes a little more work. Trying to maintain a workout schedule has so far collapsed on me. But I do make sure I take the stairs when possible etc. We bought a Wii for Christmas and Jenny McCarthy is an evil witch. But its something different than the elliptical and weight room. I need variety. Activity is SO much easier when it isn't pouring down rain.

Travel more - this is already in the works. I have a trip to Hawaii planned in February. 1 week on Maui. The other trip I KNOW I'm taking is a long weekend in NYC to visit my best friend. Its long overdue.
Other trip ideas for the year are:
  • San Francisco - love this city. To me it's NYC meets West Coast and the results are amazing. Plus its close to Napa (wine -enough said)
  • Washington DC. - I had tickets to the inauguration. I couldn't go. Besides that, I have wanted to go to DC since grade school. What can I say? I love history.
  • Chicago - just because its a cool city. Been there for work. Would love to spend the time to play a little bit more.
  • Palm Springs - a friend of mine just moved there or this wouldn't be on the list. And its close enough to Disneyland that I could work in a Mouse fix. Of course, not all of these will happen, but its something to think about.

Find a job that motivates me - I've been very lucky in the last 17 years of my life to have worked for some great companies with great people in positions that have helped me grow, allowed me to see others grow, challenged me and left me with a sense of accomplishment. Life brings changes. Since being laid off in Feb 2008, I have been doing contract work. The most recent year has been less than fulfilling/challenging workwise. So, I'm actively looking for something that I can bring something to the table as well as be challenged to keep up and continue to learn along the way. In the immortal words of Lloyd Dobler, "I'm looking for a dare to be great situation". The search is on.

Well, that's what I'm working toward at present. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: